Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Fun with Hydrochloric Acid

by Jamie Bennett

So my hydrochloric acid finally came in and I was able to try out some acid etching for the first time. It was a lot of fun. I was slightly nervous, thinking that I might come out looking like the Phantom of the Opera but it all went very smoothly. I made sure I was completely covered and wore a mask. If you haven't ever worked around hydrochloric acid know only that this acid is super corrosive towards organic materials and it smells awful. Even breathing in a small amount is enough to make you gag.


There are a couple of reasons that I am now working on these etchings.

1) I was hired by Lunar Logic to come up with some artwork for their new office and I thought this would be the right time to try acid etching.

2) I have been wanting to try acid etching ever since I bought my plotter because they go hand in hand.

3) I would like to see if etching is something that I would like to include in my next Pacific University showing. I am also working with spray paint these days (more to come soon).

Below is the design I etched. I am going to keep experimenting but so far it couldn't be going better. I still have my boyish good looks and this is a very effective way to imprint into aluminum.


No comments:

Post a Comment