Sunday, January 14, 2018

Lending a Hand with Prosthetics

I started painting prosthetics and orthotics. The Wonder Woman one to the left was my first attempt. I learned a lot about the materials, and this was just a proof to show the woman how this might look when finished. I am told she loves it, and she will have me do the final.

It is a lot of fun to do this kind of work. It is a similar process to the paintings I have done in the past, but someone is actually going to wear these. I think it's pretty cool, and I hope to do a bunch more. So far I have done four prosthetic similar to this. I have done two types of leg prosthetics and two kids corrective helmets.

Here is another prosthetic that I did. It sits a little further down on the leg. I think the Wonder Woman one sits higher up on the hip. I'm not a doctor but I am learning. I love Pabst, or should I say that a younger Jamie loved Pabst. It was suggested that I do a Pabst one, and I loved the idea. I might stay away from using so much white in the future, but this was fun. It couldn't have gone smoother. I look forward to doing more of this. I like thinking about how the designs will wrap, and the order in which I paint things factors into the timing of everything. This is just a super fun puzzle for a designer, and I hope I brought a little color to some people's lives.

Read more to see some of the kids helmets.


To the left is my first attempt at a kids helmet. I tried using some glitter spray which I liked, but the spray I bought is very unforgiving. I will look around for a better metallic spray to use in the future because metallic looks great on all these prosthetics.

I did a boy's helmet and I was going to do a girls version, but I decided at the last minute to try a UNLV football helmet design. I will eventually do girl version, once more are sent to me. The idea is that I will have a number of options for people to pick from. You are really designing for the kids parents, more so then designing for the kids themselves. These are just babies so having sports options seemed obvious. I will probably also do some unicorns and  Barbie ones in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment